After being given the brief of illustrating a poster for a play, I decided on 'A Doll's House' from the choices as I thought there were many elements of this play which could influence my ideas, and I thought it gave me many opportunities to be very creative.
After researching the play further for inspiration, I produced lots of thumbnail visual ideas, playing around with colour, composition, subject etc. I aimed to add in lots of little details which I thought added to the poster well due to the concept of the play. For example, there are references to the woman being called a 'skylark' which is why I included a birdcage concept. Furthermore, the play is based around Christmas time which also gave me ideas for my poster. I did struggle to come up with lots of different thumbnail visuals, so I had to keep searching for inspiration and played around further with colour and composition. I learned a lot throughout this brief regarding visualising ideas as I used lots of different media to produce lots of different, interesting poster designs, in a small space of time. After coming up with my initial ideas, I then narrowed down and generated some refined versions, continuing to experiment with colour and material to produce an appealing poster. Finally, I produced 3 final designs on a larger scale, all of which highlighted a different concept of the film.
Overall, I was happy with my outcome of this brief. I had to push myself quite hard to keep going and generate different poster designs which I did struggle with quite a lot at about the halfway point. However, I kept experimenting with different compositions and used a variety of media to help further. I definitely learned a lot about idea generation so overall I'm happy with the outcome.